Sunday, August 10, 2008

now really, what have I gotten myself into?

aye aye aye
We met up with our host families today. Turns out all the spanish I was thinking I understood in class and high school was all a lie. My family has been talking to me, and I sorta get the general topic and based on their reactions/tone etc I can guess their feelings and try to react appropriately, but thats about all. Its a mess. I am anxious to get really good at spanish so I can carry on a conversation (or at least answer the questions mostly correctly the first time they ask, or say more than one sentence in another tense other than present...) but getting there is going to be long and painful.
They are soo nice though, I was so nervous but really everyone is very nice and fun and understanding. I am a littl confused because there is an old man that lives here they call maestro. and they introduced me and maybe described him as an abuelo (grandfather) but from what I did understand at dinner, he is not related to them at all. And Im not sure if the brothers live here or not... I'm pretty sure one does but I haven't really seen them all day (one went to work, his second day! and the other went to soccer?? no se) so I really dont know.
Class starts at 8:30 tomorrow, and they showed me how to take the micro and everything, but that is far too petrifying and its only like a 20-30 minute walk, so I think I am going to walk, at least until I find out how close the other kids live so we can coordinate something?
This whole eating thing is probably going to be the death of me, either by over eating or starving. or maybe some unique combination of both. Today we had this HUGE lunch, it didn't look like that much food, but about a quarter of the way through I was "satisfecho" and then they ate "once" at 8:30 which (I ate leftover lunch! hahahaha) is cakes and breads and tea/coffee. Not even dinner! And to think that in real life situations they have once at about 6 or 7 and then at 8-10ish (maybe later) they have dinner. Crazy!
I can't wait for spring/summer! No matter how many layers I have on nor what they are made of makes me much warmer. Apparently if you live here, you develope a higher tolerance for cold. Its not colder then winters in CO by any means, I would compare the weather during the day to October or November in CO... but no heat inside... That will get to you bones because its a cold slow chill freeze. hahahaha My host family put a electric blanket on my bed! So have been so accomodating and awesome so far!!
They gave me a cell phone to use, but I have no idea if it is just for now/emergencies or what. I need to ask, but I also need to know what they are saying when they respond. Same with showers.... Mi mama y Naty told me about the calefront (the thing that you have to start to heat the water...) but Im not sure what they were saying. I thought they said they are getting an automatic one this week? or that its better to shower at night because then it doesn't take as long... No idea. So im going to not shower tomorrow morning and worry about it after class. hahahaha
Their house is very simple. No one has anything on the walls. There are some paintings one of the boys did in the family room, thats about all, for example Naty's room doesn't have any posters or pictures or anything up. I am anxious to hear other people's impressions and thoughts.
Its only 10:30 but I am exhausted!! (i couldn't sleep last night because I was so nervous). And Naty's boyfriend just got here... its a school night! que loco!! and she is getting up at 7... or leaving at 7, Im not sure. I just know mi mama said she would get me up then too?? so i set some alarms. I have to get a clock! and a watch! hahahaha (and a normal size toothpaste. hahahaha)
aye aye aye.
Thats all for now, bed calls!!!

ADIOS!!!

(ps wish me luck tomorrow on getting to school and back (twice!- dance class at 2:40. hahahaha))

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jana - Sounds as if you are having quite the adventure and taking it all in stride. WHAT A WOMAN! You will be speaking like a native in no time. Glad you are taking dance lessons. Say you'll give us all lessons when you return. Hope you've got the shower figured out by now...and how to get EXTRA hot water. I have a feeling that electric blanket will become one of your best friends in Chile! Thinking of you and wishing you well. Pat Shumate

Kendra said...

Jana! You sound like you are doing great! I'm very proud of how you are handling things and hearing your stories make me giggle a little bit. I hope your Spanish is improving! I miss you! -Kendra =)